Breakfast is the most important meal, they say, so why not start this article with a very healthy 21 Day Fix Breakfast Recipe. Prior to doing the #21DayFix, my impression of healthy eating was the typical/awful/boring plain grilled chicken breast and broccoli diet.
I’d rather eat delicious stuff. I love food. I’d also rather be overweight than eat boring food all the time.
…But I don’t want to be overweight. And I don’t believe you have to choose either/or. You CAN have both. Sometimes it just takes figuring it out.
This is my new favorite breakfast. Even though the 21 Day Fix is over, I’m still eating this meal nearly every day for breakfast, along with my husband and daughter. Here it is:
For one person (multiply this 21 Day Fix Breakfast recipe for multiple people), you’ll need:
- 1.5 cups broccoli and/or purple cauliflower (it’ll cook down a bit)
- 2 eggs or 8 tbsp egg whites
- 1/4 cup Cream of Rice (makes 1 cup cooked, but you’ll only need half)
- Salt-free seasoning (Costco has a good one)
- 1 tsp coconut oil (or extra-virgin olive oil, but coconut is tastier)
- 1.5 cups water
- Coconut oil or vegetable spray for the pan
- First, prep your eggs. Spray your pan with non-stick spray.
Crack the eggs into a dish, sprinkle a dash of seasoning, and mix with a fork.
- Let that sit while you start the cereal:
In one pot, put 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil.
- While that heats up, get started on the veggies:
In a pot with a lid, put 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil.
Add the veggies, place the lid on the pot. Set a timer for 4 minutes.
- While the veggies steam set a burner to medium heat, pour your eggs into the pan, and scramble.
The eggs and veggies will be done at about the same time.
- The water for the cereal will be boiling at this point, so gradually stir in the cream of rice cereal.
It’ll thicken pretty instantly. Once it boils again, reduce the heat to low and let it simmer while you stir.
Remove it from heat.
- While it sits, finish up the veggies:
Add your teaspoon of coconut oil, and stir/toss with a fork.
Optional: sprinkle with truffle or Himalayan salt.
That’s it! A hot, flavorful, extremely balanced breakfast.
Remember that this recipe makes double the amount of cereal you’ll actually need for one person.
21 Day Fix Specifications: 1 Red, 1 Green, 1 Yellow, 1 teaspoon.